We developed this recipe for a meal featuring Kobalt Cabernet Sauvignon Dessert Wine. We often bake this cake in individual silicone bombe molds and stuff it with sweetened mascarpone, but it also makes a simple, beautiful 9-inch cake to slice at your table.
For the torta:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 5 eggs, separated
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups toasted hazelnuts, skin on
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
For the glaze:
- 6 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp. Amarena cherry syrup
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 4 ounces Amarena cherries
- Preheat an oven to 350F. Butter a 9-inch spring-form cake pan.Cream together the sugar and butter in a stand mixer. Add the egg yolks one at a time and mix until just smooth. Add the chocolate and hazelnuts and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt to soft peaks. With a rubber spatula, fold together the egg whites and the chocolate mixture. Transfer the batter to the buttered pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out of the center clean. Remove the cake