Granola is easy to make and store and it is delicious plain or as a topping. Try it on yogurt! My recipe below is easy and adaptable. Add more or less of any ingredient to your liking and it will always be delicious. Experiment with different types of nuts and dried fruits–dried blueberries or cranberries give it a flavorful punch. Make a double batch because it will disappear quickly.
Yield: About 6 cups
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (Note: Using large-flake coconut adds a great chewy texture.)
- 4 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup wheat germ or flax meal
- 2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 cups almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup honey ½ pound butter, melted
- ¾ cup dried currants or golden raisins
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Spread coconut on a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 5 minutes, checking constantly. Once coconut starts to toast it will brown quickly, so keep an eye on it. Bake until the edges are golden, then remove from the oven and transfer coconut to a shallow dish to … Read More