Yield: 6 servings
This brings together 4 of the “basic flavors”: sweet, sour, salty and pepper. As with all recipes, adjust these elements to your own taste.
- 1 medium sweet red or white onion, peeled, cut in ¼-inch slices and soaked in ice water for 30 minutes
- Raspberry vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 bunch young watercress or other peppery greens such as arugula, woody stems discarded
- 8 cups chilled, seeded watermelon; cut into 2-inch cubes (use both red and yellow watermelon, if available)
- 6 large ripe fresh figs, fanned
- 3 ounces or so drained firm feta, cut attractively Garnish: Mint springs
Drain onions, pat dry and separate into individual rings and pour vinaigrette over. Marinate onions for at least 30 minutes, refrigerated.
On chilled plates, arrange a bed of watercress and top with cubed watermelon. Arrange onions and figs attractively around and drizzle vinaigrette over. Place feta on top and garnish with mint sprigs. Serve immediately.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallots or white part of green onions
- ¼ cup rice or cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup raspberry purée made from either fresh or IQF frozen berries
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Whisk the shallots, vinegar, raspberry purée, orange juice, honey and oil together to make a smooth mixture. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Season with salt and pepper and adjust sweet/sour to your taste.