Yield: enough for 2 dozen oysters
- ¼ cup shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup natural rice vinegar Juice of 1 juicy lime
TO PREPARE AND SERVE
Mix all, except the cilantro, in a small (preferably glass) bowl. Refrigerate for one hour. Shuck oysters, keeping as much liquid in the shell as possible. Place the oysters, in their shells, on a bed of ice on a deep-sided plate. Add the cilantro to the Hog Wash and serve in a small bowl alongside the oysters. A small amount should be spooned over each oyster just before eating.
NOTE: If you like a sweeter sauce, you may add a teaspoon of sugar to the recipe. Chef Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin in New York City substitutes 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons mirin and 1 teaspoon of sugar for the two rice vinegars.