May Get Real Resolution: The Crazy Veggie (or Fruit) Quiz
What if you promised your mom you’d try ONE green bean, and she gave you a foot-long one! What if it were a foot-long and red?
Asian “noodle” beans come in both green and red and are just one kind of crazy fruit and vegetable to try. In fact, a lot of those “boring” old vegetables we think we know and have tried come in all shapes and sizes and colors — even different flavors. Not to mention, there are hundreds of exotic fruits and vegetables that don’t even look like something you would eat.
Here’s a quick quiz to test your “Crazy Fruit and Veggie” knowledge:
1. Potatoes were first grown as a food crop instead of a wild plant over 7,000 years ago. You can find potatoes in all kinds of colors even purple and dark blue! About how many kinds of potatoes are there?
2. What kind of fruit (often mistaken for a vegetable) comes in varieties called Yellow Pear, Garden Peach, Green Zebra, and Mortgage Lifter?
3. This vegetable is a math genius! It’s really a type of flowering plant with buds that are arranged almost as a perfect fractal, or a repeating pattern that scales perfectly with each bud made up of smaller identical buds. The pattern of the buds also make them a Fibonacci number, a numeric sequence used in computer and search engine algorithms (mathematic formulas). What is this mathematic veggie?
a. Algebric Artichoke
4. Which of these “scary” pumpkins and squash are edible ones?
a. Red Warty Thing
b. Uncle Fester
c. Ghost Pumpkins
d. All are edible
5. Which one of these items is a Dragon Fruit? A, B, or C?
Crazy Fruit or Veggie Challenge
Ready for a food adventure? This is one time everyone in the family — not just the kids — gets to try something new! Head out to your nearest farmers market, ethnic market, or even a good grocery store. Explore the produce available and find the craziest fruit or vegetable you can. Take it home and try it, then answer these questions with some help from your mom or dad and time online:
What is your fruit or vegetable?
- Where does it come from or originate?
- What’s one fun fact you didn’t know about that food?
- What does it look like?
- Did it taste like what you expected?
- There are about 4000 varieties of potatoes!
- Tomato. With over 700 heirloom varieties, these are anything but red and round only.
- All of the squash listed are edible ones!
- Romanesco is the relative of broccoli and cauliflower that is an edible math lesson.
- Option A is the Dragon Fruit. The inside looks a bit like a white kiwi fruit and tastes a bit similar to a kiwi, but milder. Option B is a ramubtan, much like a lychee — don’t eat the spikes! Option C is purple artichokes.
Have you joined The Cleaner Plate Club and Edible Kansas City for the Get Real Resolution yet?
Get monthly activities and fun food adventure ideas for a no-fight, all-fun way to help your whole family enjoy real food.