From Cedar Circle Farm, Thetford, VT
Fresh purple (red) cabbage works the best but you can also use green.
From the farm: olive oil, brown rice or apple vinegar, onion, purple cabbage
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown rice or apple vinegar
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 2 medium purple cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded (chiffonade)
- 3 Granny Smith apples, quartered, cored and sliced thin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Toast the fennel seeds in a small pan over medium heat until fragrant, and set aside. Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the onion. Sauté until translucent and just golden around the edges, then add the cabbage, fennel seeds and about a teaspoon and a half of salt. Lower the heat and cover, cooking slowly and stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very tender—about 1 hour. Mix in the sliced apples, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with brown rice vinegar.
For a nutty twist, try drizzling with Cedar Circle Farm’s sunflower oil and sprinkle a half cup of roasted walnuts.